Friday, April 16, 2010

Beauty

Some of you may have heard of Diane Von Furstenberg but many of you probably have not. She is a world renowned fashion designer and made her claim to fame by perfecting the wrap dress. I read part of her biography some time back. Here is something she wrote on beauty that always stuck with me:

"But I didn't want to have a perm, I wanted to have straight, blonde hair and to be pretty. It took me a long time to realize that my childhood feelings of plainness and sometimes even ugliness actually gave me an advantage. The girls who were unanimously considered beautiful often rested on their beauty alone. I felt I had to do things, to be intelligent and develop a personality in order to be attractive. By the time I realized that maybe I wasn't plain and might even possibly be pretty, I had already strained myself to be a little more interesting and informed."

I think this struck a chord with me because growing up I never really felt like I was beautiful. I mean I had these horrendous bangs, I didn't dress like everyone else, and I didn't ever wear any makeup. It took me awhile to see that I could still be beautiful without being a stereotypical "beauty". So for many years I just made sure I excelled at everything else I did, whether it was sports, school, speech and debate, or just being a great friend and a fun person to be around. In the end I think it has really helped me. Recently with the help of the Lord and the support of my friends and family I have been able to be content in my own skin. I like who I am and I am proud of what I have been able to do and who I have been able to become.

On a side note: Today and tomorrow I have tryouts with Grace. Or practices that will function as tryouts for their soccer team. Basically everything is riding on this. I am fairly nervous so I would be very appreciative of any and all prayers. Thank you.

2 comments:

  1. Katie, this is a beautiful post. I'm glad you started this blog, and you can count on me being an avid reader. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww thank you Becs. I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete